Monday, November 17, 2014

Please welcome Juli D. Revezzo with Sing a Mournful Melody - Out Now




Genesis of Sing a Mournful Melody
By Juli D. Revezzo

For quite a long time I’ve counted the Gothic authors of the 19th century and early 20th century among my influences. Along with studying their works came a dip into their lives and how they lived those lives. So much so that for me, when crafting a story, it turned into second nature to build a story with elements of that bygone era. If you’ve read any of my recent works, though set in our modern day, you’ll see the influence.

One day, I was poking around on some research for a new story and I ran across the Victrola. These interesting early phonographs were pieces of furniture in themselves. If any of my readers of a “certain age” they might recall the buffet-style record players that perhaps their grandparents purchased long ago. A Victrola was like that, but vertical. The love of music transcends time so it was easy for me to picture a young married couple spending their nights dancing before one of these things. A couple friends of mine turned me onto Downton Abbey and mix that with an interest in the writers I mentioned above and it was very easy for me to shift my research into the years surrounding 1900. That’s when I ran across a different little gadget. Called a Graphophone, the machine was very similar to a Gramophone, but was created by Edison’s competitor Alexander Graham Bell a few years earlier. Unlike the Victrola or the Gramophone, the Graphophone played a small, paper or wax cylinder on which your voice—or in the case of my heroine—your symphony or song could be recorded. They were smaller too, and fit nicely on a tabletop. The quaint little device features prominently in my recent Gothic short story “Sing a Mournful Melody” when the grieving widow of composer finds herself faced with a spooky, supernatural voice from the Graphophone’s speaker, giving her…shall we say advice on what to do with herself, now that her husband has been killed.

What advice does the ghostly mentor give her? Well, you’ll have to read to find out! Here’s the synopsis:

 At the turn of the 20th century, tragedy has left Maribelle grief-stricken. After her beloved husband is murdered, his body disappears from his crypt. Worse, ghostly voices call from the widow's Graphophone. Is she losing her mind, or does something wicked this way come?

 
“Sing a Mournful Melody” is available at Amazon: http://t.co/ReHBI2G1VG
 

Thank you, Jane for letting me visit today.

 
About the Author:
Juli D. Revezzo is a Florida girl with a love of speculative and romantic fiction and legend, and loves writing stories with all kinds of fantastical elements. Aside from Changeling's Crown, she is the author of The Antique Magic series and the Paranormal Romance Harshad Wars series and many short stories. She is also a member of the Independent Author Network and the Magic Appreciation Tour.
 
To learn more about this and future releases, visit her at: ttp://julidrevezzo.com
Follow her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/julidrevezzo
Twitter: @julidrevezzo

Sign up for her newsletter at:  http://bit.ly/SNI5K6

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Welcome, Juli! An interesting book with a lovely cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely sounds like a story I'd enjoy..love the late Victorian era. Best luck Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty cover and sounds like a mystery! I hope someone helps the widow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing, Juli. Love the cover and the storyline. And Downton Abbey, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting me, Jane!

    Melissa, Rose and Lyndi, thank you for your kind comments. I hope you will enjoy the story. And yes, I think a bit of curiosity about Downton Abbey might've had something to do with the setting of this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete